We love baking and I remember many years ago making Secret Cookies with Ready Brek. I knew my children would love these so thought we’d give them a go as something to occupy Miss M during the summer on a rainy day.
Mister B wanted to assist too and insisted on wearing Miss M’s Hello Kitty apron rather than his own – but whatever makes him happy! Miss M carefully followed my instructions to mix the ingredients herself and was very excited by the ‘secret’ part of the cookie. A hidden square of white chocolate pushed into the centre of each cookie before it is baked.
5oz caster sugar
1 egg yolk
4oz Ready Brek
3oz self raising flour
2oz cocoa powder
½ tsp baking powder
15 squares of white chocolate (enough for 1 per cookie)
1. Cream together butter and sugar until light and fluffy
2. And in egg yolk and beat well
3. Add the Ready Brek, flour, cocoa powder and baking powder
4. Mix to form a dough then break into 15 balls, flatten each ball down pushing a square of white chocolate into the centre and covering completely within the cookie
5. Bake for approx 15 minutes on 190°C
The best way to eat these cookies is when they are still warm, so take them out the oven, let them cool slightly then take a bite and you’ll find the white chocolate square in the center is all gooey!
These are deliciously yummy, I have to say our plateful of cookies didn’t last long although we did manage to save a few until the next day. They are almost as delicious cold as well, although if you pop them in the microwave for a few seconds it gently warms them up and they taste just like they’ve come out the oven again.
Why don’t you have a go at making these, lots of fun for children whatever the weather?