National Unplugging Day is this Sunday 25th June and families are taking part in a no technology pact for the day as a way to remind and encourage people to embrace a healthy lifestyle by regularly setting aside time away from their digital devices and be more mindful of their day to day digital usage. In a bid to celebrate the day parents are being asked to #GoGadgetFree and spend the day from sun-up to sun-down without any technology.
Let’s be honest – could you not glance at your phone, tablet or laptop for a whole day? I know I’d struggle, even the kids like playing on daddy’s iPad although they only play free games or watch kids tv programmes. I was astonished to learn that from 1100 parents surveyed in April, more than half of children have one or more social media accounts with children as young as six years old having an online presence.
I’m pleased to say that my children aged 9 and 6 are yet to be active online in that sense just yet although I’m sure their time will come before I’m ready for it! In preparation for National Unplugging Day we’ve already been trying out some board games which my children love playing and are a great way for families to interact together as well spend some quality time with each other and have fun.
If you are in the area then National Unplugging Day have chosen Winchester as the venue for their National event this year.
So what does this involve? – A whole host of Wellness businesses have been brought in to provide ‘dopamine boosting’ activities and include a number of Winchester based experts who will be on hand running the workshops and include the following:
- Winchester based Mandy Papas Hypnotherapist will running an introduction to Mindfulness course
- Winchester based Yoga Teacher Jenny Joslin from JJ Yoga will be hosting a Parent/Child Yoga session
- Integr8 Dance, a dance school from Winchester, will be hosting a StreetDance workshop for children
- BeatsDisco, DJ based in Winchester will be supplying the sounds and running a DJ Vinyl workshop for Kids!
- Other experts who are running Workshops include:
- Chris James – Mind Body and Health Guru and Yoga Teacher to Millie Mackintosh
- Hoop Like a Boss – Hula Hoop Teacher and Expert
To book tickets for the Winchester event, go to https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/unplugged-at-the-riverside-yurt-in-celebration-of-national-unplugging-day-tickets-34538347126
This is a collaborative post